Pages

Thursday 16 May 2013

Learn from My Interview Mistakes


Have you ever felt depressed after a failed job interview? I have. More than once actually. After getting my bachelor's degree I was a bit naive, to put it mildly, and I went to job interviews without any preparation believing that my newly gained knowledge will be enough to get my dream job. Well, I was wrong. And though each failed interview taught me a precious lesson, I thought I share my experiences hoping it will prevent others undergoing the same ordeal.

How to talk yourself out of the job


A seagull talking too much
Image from:www.tumblr.com

It was one of my first interviews. I was so nervous I thought I'm going to faint and perhaps even that wouldn't have ruined my chances more effectively. Have you seen Bridget Jones's job interviews? Well, it was something like that. I kept on chatting about unrelated subjects and since it wasn't a sales representative job, surprise, surprise ... I didn't get the job.

ADVICE: Give short (about 2 minutes), to the point answers.

Do you have a reference list? … Err, a what?


A recommendation letter is fine, but more and more employers/recruiters require a list of names who are willing to vouch for your skills and personality. So, don't make the mistake of going to an interview without such a list. I was applying for a receptionist position and the interview itself went quite well, but this mistake could have cost me the job. Luckily, the interviewer accepted the reference list in form of an e-mail.

ADVICE: Make sure you've asked the permission of those whom you wish to include into your reference list AND don't hand it over until you are asked to do so.

I am too much of a perfectionist.


a woman being ashamed
Image from: www.chrisgibbs.net
Though it is true, it is such a lame answer to the question: 'What are your weaknesses?' I wish someone would have told me that the best answer to this common interview question is a real weakness that you have managed to overcome. No one is perfect and your future employer is aware of this fact. What he wants to know is if you are aware of your faults and - what is more important – if you can work on your weaknesses.

ADVICE: Since you are probably not a native English speaker you can mention how have you improved your speaking and listening skills.


I've no questions.


Towards the end of the interview you most probably will be invited to ask questions. The answer 'I've no questions' will automatically make the recruiter ask himself: 'Is she interested enough?', 'Was she paying attention?'  or 'Is she creative at all?'. I remember back in my hometown, I applied for a typist job and though I said three times 'I've no questions' I got the job. YET I am convinced I was saved only by my English language skills OR … it might have been sheer luck. (Hmm, perhaps I should consider buying a lottery ticket.)

ADVICE: Don't rely on luck and prepare some questions.

It's the perfect job for me, isn't it?


a puzzled face
Image from:www.emohteez.com
My biggest mistake ever was to go to an interview completely unprepared. True, the job ad was quite vague but I didn't even check what was the company doing for their income. It looked like a personal assistant vacancy but it turned out that I would have been something like between a croupier and waitress. It was nothing wrong with the job only I wasn't qualified. So I was just wasting my and their time as well.

ADVICE: Always check out the company on the internet. Nowadays, you can learn from how satisfied their customers are with their services to what their employees say about the leaders. It will also help you to prepare some questions.

How about you? What were YOUR biggest mistake during a job interview? 

No comments:

Post a Comment